Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy I Love You Day!

val-en-tine (val'en-tin')- n. 1.A sentiment or greeting of affection
sent to a sweetheart, friend, or family member. 2. A person
singled out as one's favorite on Valentine's Day.

Happy Valentine's Day! In the past, I haven't given this day much thought. I always saw it as a commercial holiday devised to sell candy hearts, cheesy cards, expensive dinners, overpriced roses, and a boat-load of chocolate. It can still be viewed this way, but this year this day means so much more to me. Surprisingly enough, Hollywood triggered this change in attitude for me, for which I am grateful.

A gorgeous, hand-crafted Valentine's Day
 card from my talented Aunt Barbara.
A few weeks ago, my husband and I watched the celebrity filled movie of last year, Valentine's Day. I didn't know what to expect from it and I was pleasantly surprised. The movie followed a host of characters in different stages of love relationships, friend and romantic, and celebrated the many ways people express their love for one another. It made me see the beauty of an entire day to just say "I love you", "I think  you are special", and "You mean so much more to me than mere words can say." That is, it revealed to me the true meaning of this day.

In past years, I have received Valentine's Day cards from relatives who, I now realize, have always celebrated this day for its deep, true meaning. I did not send cards myself and I did not truly grasp that my relatives' Valentine's greetings were filled with special love for me. This year, I enjoyed cutting out hearts and sending Valentine's Day cards to loved ones. As my heart expanded, I felt loved and rejoiced. May your day be filled with special messages of love, as well. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment