Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts are Things

Yesterday morning I remembered something I hadn't done. I took a picture for a friend a few weeks ago and never sent it to her. Around 9 a.m. a thought popped into my head reminding me that I needed to follow through and send the photo. When I got on-line a few hours later there was an email from my friend requesting the photo. It was sent at 9:57 a.m. Of course, I could discount this this convergence of my thought and her email as a coincidence, if I believed in coincidences. I don't.

Yesterday, in the early afternoon, my friend Tara popped into my mind. I had been thinking of calling her and immediately picked up the phone. The timing was perfect. She had just walked in the door and her three children were at school. We had a wonderful time catching up on each other's lives and I thoroughly enjoyed our uninterrupted conversation.

About two weeks ago in the early evening a small, inner voice, said "Call Jess." I didn't know why, as we usually communicate via email or Skype and rarely pick up the phone to just chat. I trusted that voice, found her number and called. I started by saying, I don't know why I'm calling you, I just am. She responded, "did you just hear me screaming in the car 'I need a friend!'? Of course, I hadn't . . . or maybe I had?? Like a divine GPS that says "turn here", I am guided when I choose to listen to thoughts that pop into my mind unbidden and prompt me to act. I have many more of these stories to share and will do so here, soon. For now, I ask . . . has this happened to you? I'd love to hear your stories. Leave a comment below to share!

2 comments:

  1. About ten years ago, my sister and I went out to lunch. We were sitting outside waiting for our food and we saw her oldest son sauntering down the sidewalk across the street. We just sat there and watched him until he whipped around and saw us.

    We couldn't stop laughing. My sister's comment at the time was that there's such a special bond between a mother and her first child. All I remember is how he just whipped around looking for whoever it was that was watching him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one is I'll be work and start thinking how nice it would be to see my husband for lunch. More than once the phone rang and it was the hubby inviting me to meet him for lunch!

    Nancy
    http://dogear6.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete