Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Creative Confidence: This is why I teach.

Who gets to say whether I am good enough at anything? I do. Just me. And, yet, there are so  many other voices that chime in throughout our lives to let us know whether we measure up to whatever standard is being used as the one to meet. I taught my first of four youth community education classes on June 6 via Zoom. All five Melrose, Minnesota, kiddos, ages 8-12, were delightful and created beautiful tiles. And ... as soon as the class ended, I received this note from a twelve year old boy's mother, who gave me permission to share:


"Hi Esther, Thank you for providing this class! D.S. enjoyed it! He’s had unpleasant experiences with being graded for his work in art class and has started to believe he “can’t do art”. Thank you for reminding him that he’s a great artist!" R.S.

Her comment warmed my heart and broke it at the very same time. I immediately thought to myself, "This is why I teach." Her note reaffirmed my dedication to share the beauty, simplicity and accessibility of the Zentangle method with anyone who wants to learn. Since I began teaching in 2013, I have heard this story over and over again from people of all ages. I even have my very own art teacher story. 

In grade school we were asked to create a self portrait. I did my very best and when the teacher saw my page he brought me over to the mirror, held up my picture and asked, "Does this look like you?" Of course, it looked nothing like me. I was devastated and immediately felt like the worst artist in the world. 

As an adult, I can look back on this incident and ask, well, whose fault was it, truly, that I lacked the skills necessary to draw an accurate self portrait in grade school? But I lacked perspective about it at the time and took his comment personally. Fortunately, I did not give up on being creative or pursuing art, but so many others, with similar stories, have given up on their creative dreams. It truly breaks my heart.

All beings are creative. We are hard wired to create and through that creation to experience joy. Does it matter whether it looks like the teacher's? No. Does it matter whether your spouse, your children, or your mailman like what you have created? No. Does it matter if your creation wins any awards? No.

What really matters is whether creating brings you joy. Does making something colorful and messy and simple calm your mind, delight your heart, and enliven your spirit? If so, then create. Create boldly, wildly, freely every day in whatever way brings you joy. 

Drawing brings me joy and providing the opportunity for others to experience their own joy through drawing also brings me joy. This is why I teach. 



No comments:

Post a Comment