Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Life & Art Entangled @ Zeitgeist Arts

I am an artist and certified zentangle (R) teacher. My husband Paul is a registered piano technician. It only made sense that an artistic collaboration was necessary. In December 2014, he and his then business partner found me a free, 1977 Krakauer studio upright piano with water damage to its lid and battered casework, but its insides were solid. I painted it white in January 2015 and then began to draw. As black zentangle inspired lines filled that white surface, I imagined preserving those lines on film. 

In April 2015, David Cowardin and Joe Oliveiri of Lola Visuals made that dream come true with the completion of the art documentary Life & Art Entangled featuring the videography and story telling skills of Lola Visuals, Jazz pianist Peter Brown's musicality, my artistry, and my husband's piano technical skills. Life & Art Entangled premiered at the Duluth Superior Film Festival in June 2016.

Last night I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the support and enthusiasm of those who attended the joint film release party/art opening at Zeitgeist Arts in downtown Duluth. This opening was a celebration for me of so many dreams come true: 
~16" stoneware platter created by
Dorian Beaulieu,
patterned by Esther Piszczek.
  • the release and screening of Life & Art Entangled documenting my first completed art piano;
  • patterns on clay, on the wall, following a year of ceramics classes at Lake Superior Community College, including a collaborative piece with my ceramics teacher Dorian Beaulieu;
  • the completion of my first coloring book with local publisher Whole Person Associates filled with original zentangle inspired art; and
  • a dress made out of fabric printed with my own designs.
    Me, posing with the art piano on Monday, August 1, 2016,
    wearing a dress designed and sewn by my niece Vivian
    on fabric printed with my patterns.
It was a truly magical evening. Dreams really do come true.

Zeitgeist hosts Life & Art Entangled Exhibit, Fox 21 News, Duluth, August 2, 2016.
Duluth filmmakers document life, by Esther Piszczek, Duluth Budgeteer News, July 29, 2016.
Patterned Peace: a dream realized, by Esther Piszczek, episzczek.blogspot.com, July 1, 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Esther, I am SO glad you told me about this. I just watched the documentary on YouTube and it is amazing. I am so happy that you have found your calling, your joy, your way of being in the world. I hope all the good things continue!

    ReplyDelete