Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mother Nature's Gift

Boston is a winter wonderland today with approximately fifteen inches of snow on the ground, a brilliant blue sky, and dazzling sunshine. It is incredibly beautiful. Weather has an amazing ability to bring people together. It is a shared common experience that invites conversation regardless of age, gender, political affiliation, marital status, sexual preference, ethnic origin, or religious denomination. It is Mother's Nature's way of giving everyone a reason to pause and contemplate something more than the day-to-day rush, the bills, and the cleanliness of the bathroom.

As I walked through Charlestown yesterday afternoon, I sensed the camaraderie between neighbors as they shoveled snow to reveal cars, parking spaces, and sidewalks; conversed with strangers over our shared wintry experience; treasured time with my husband as the storm altered our daily routine; and enjoyed a phone call from a loved one checking on my family's safety in the storm. And, as the day waned, I gave thanks to all that is for Mother Nature's ability to so beautifully and simply connect me to the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment